Thursday, August 8, 2013

Color Throwdown & CASE Study Challenge


CTD254 & CASE Study #152: I've been having a hard time thinking up ideas for cards, so I was looking in a Paper Crafts magazine for some inspiration and I found a really nice, sunny card that I wanted to try to copy. Sunshine and sun-rays are so in right now so I thought that I would make a mask using my Cricut machine and then spray it with yellow mist.

I don't have any alcohol spray ink, and since I wanted to make a yellow sun-ray, I found a tutorial on how to make your own using Kool-aid but that didn't work very well for me for some reason; I used food coloring and it turned out really well. I added quite a lot of drops to get a nice yellow color. After I sprayed my sun-ray mask with my handmade yellow, I sprayed over it with some iridescent gild glimmer mist to make it sparkle. I think it turned out really nice!

I really like the inspiration I got from the CASE Study Challenge and the colors that are in the Color Throwdown Challenge; they're not ones that I would normally use at the same time. But the blue does look nice with the yellow I think. I didn't want to use all the colors in the challenge - not wanting to add to much to the card and take away from the sunshine (Hope that's ok!) Thank you so much for stopping by and taking a look!!

Circle stamp: Unity Stamp Co.
Sentiment stamp: Market Street Stamps ('Ain't No Sunshine' set)
Washi Tape: SMASH
Glitter: Doodlebug
Glimmer mist: Tattered Angels (Iridescent Gold)
Ink: VersaMagic (Thatched Stray)
Enamel dots: My Mind's Eye
Sun-rays cut file: Find it HERE and convert to an SVG file using THIS
Other: Cricut Machine, SCAL 2 program, pop-dots,




38 comments:

  1. Wow...This is what i have been looking for and you have done a great job. Beautiful cards.
    Scrapbooking

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card, and the shimmer is FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great card! How cool of you to make your own spray - that glimmer is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the color combination!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card. Your glittery effect is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fabulous, Jessica. Love the shimmer you've added to the masked sun ray!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great sunburst- it does make my day brighter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your card is so pretty,Jessica!! The sunburst effect is pretty cool, such a cheerful card!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the sunburst!! What a bright and cheery card.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW Amazing sunburst. Your card is so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your sunburst! That is a happy card. Food coloring, who knew! Thanks for joining us CTD!

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful!!! the glimmer mist adds so much! this is great
    -Rachel w k
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am really lovin the sun rays hese days , your card is so cute and cheery , I totally love it , thx for the inspiration : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Girl-you are too clever!! Love those shiny rays!! Thxs for joining us at CTD!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome! Thanks for the tip(s) on making your own spray!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous! I've never thought about making my own color spray...since I too do not have alcohol inks...what a great idea! I like how much yours shimmers, the whole card is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. your card so bright and happy. I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great card, the blue does pop on the yellow.
    Cindy F

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow... this is stunning. I love the design and the colors are especially nice. So lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Serious shimmer and I totally love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a fabulous take on both your chosen challenges, and I love the beautiful shimmer you have achieved.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So so very pretty! Loving the yellows!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the bright colour and glimmer on the sunrays! What a bright, cheery card.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fantastic! Love your creativity in creating the mask AND the Kool-Aid mist.

    ReplyDelete
  25. SUPER shimmery fantastic! Glad it is getting the attention it deserves!
    Lovely shimmer it has. This exudes FUN, sunshine, and serious happiness!

    -Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really love this!! Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great card! Food coloring, what a super idea...

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a sweet card - those glimmering rays are fabby!
    Thanks for studying with us this week on CASE Study! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. How pretty...you have used the colors beautifully and I love all the sparkle!!! Thanks for joining us for the color Throwdown Challenge!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. your rays are gorgeous and the enamel dots are the perfect accents! Thanks for playing with us over on CASE Study :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Two things caught my eye as I visited your blog - we share the same maiden name and we are both Buckeyes - well, I'm a transplant from Hartville to VA - lol! Anyway...I LOVE your creative way to mist the sun rays! This is such a beautiful, happy card! I'm so happy to have you playing along with us at color throwdown!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...